GET

GET

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Sobering Conclusion: "Heights" & "Kontroll"

As an employee of an arthouse theatre chain and self-acknowledged movie fanatic, I feel it my duty to bring to my fellow Posse members reviews of films and what to look for. As noted in my added comment to Ken's review of "Batman Begins", I will be using the Richter Scale (10 point) to score a movie, since I am on the West Coast and already this year I've felt 3 earthquakes! Woo hoo, a new record. Pacific Ocean, here we come!

So to kick off my new feature to our blog, I thought I'd start with "Heights". I was going to do a "Kontroll" review but it's no longer playing in Chicago. However, the short version is that the movie (subtitled in English), set in the Subway system of Budapest is actually a metaphor for the inner workings of the brain, where all the players and events are symbolic of one thing or another. It was a little slower than I would have liked it, but by the end once you have started to figure out what symbolizes what, it ends up being very interesting. I'd give it a 7.0 on the Richter Scale.

Ok, so onto "Heights". This one stars Elizabeth Banks (hot), Glenn Close, James Marsden ("X-Men", "Disturbing Behavior") & Jesse Bradford ("Hackers", "Swimfan") . It's about a couple on the verge of marriage (Banks & Marsden) who are beginning the feel the pressures of all that entails. She (Banks) is feeling trapped, going through with it because it's what she's supposed to do and Marsden has a secret he has yet to reveal to her. Close plays a highly successful actress (where'd they get that idea) and the mother of Banks' character. She meets Bradford, who is an aspiring actor and coincidentally lives in the same building as Banks and Marsden. Through some crazy six degrees connections, Marsden's secret begins to unravel and Banks comes closer and closer to putting the halt to the whole marriage idea.

Since I have such a cynical view on relationships, I liked this movie quite a bit, feeling at home in the mood and atmosphere it created. The performances are good all around and while the story feels a bit too neat/contrived, I am probably going to watch this at least one more time in theatres (since I don't pay for these things).

Overall, a 6.5 on the Richter Scale.

4 comments:

  1. Kontroll does look like a better than average movie.

    The "arthouse" film I am interested in seeing would have to be 'The Smartest Guys in the Room.' It is about Enron, and about how their company was basically in the business of artificially inflating their stock.

    Good thing about falling into the ocean: no more wildfires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Enron" is playing at my theatre now, I just don't care to see it. Everyone who does says it is done very well.

    I think it comes down to how much you know about the situation. I'm told not much new information is included, and since the movie came out, the Arthur Anderson conviction was overturned, so some of the backlash towards them may not be as warranted.

    Caveat Emptor! (Empty your wallet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this column right up to where you name-dropped "Swimfan". I missed whatever came after it since I started laughing uncontrollably at that awful idea for a movie. Also, your column needs a snappy name, like "Ian's Movie Hole" or "Cinebedlam"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian's Movie Hole is too much like MoviePoopShoot. :D

    ReplyDelete