With the release of Xbox 360 almost here, more details have come to light about the system and the bundles it will come in. Microsoft announced that there will be two versions: Standard and Premium. The Standard goes for $300 and includes the console, controller, plain 'ole A/V cables, and a standard subscription to Xbox Live - which lets you create a profile and chat with friends. The glaring absence of a hard drive in the standard package is what gets to me. I realize that the PS2 didn't come with one - so it really shouldn't be a big deal - but I can't help but feel that they are taking a step backwards with this. The argument from the man in charge is that of the 22 million Xboxes that were sold, roughly 8 to 10 million of the people that bought them really didn't want or utilize the hard drive. Thus, Microsoft was paying for nothing and anyone that is really interested in the advantages that the hard drive brings will be willing to pay extra. The Premium edition comes with that extra hard drive. A whopping 20 gigs. *twirling finger* It also includes a headset, DVD/Media remote (which actually looks pretty cool, and is virtually the same as the future Nintendo remote, without the power glove-esque motion control) and component video cables. All that for $100 more.
Now, for a 16 year old with his two paychecks from working the late shift at Taco Bell and his parents pay his living expense, money is not an issue. I, on the other hand, am a harder sell. First off, $400 doesn't come easy to me. I only bought my first Xbox because I got it, virtually, for free. I stumbled across a Meijer grand opening where they were selling them for $99. Bought two of them, sold one on Ebay for $150, then sold a bunch of other crap to recoup the other $50. The sweet thing about the Xbox was that ,because it had a hard drive, I never had to buy a memory card either. Adding to the conflict is that my current Xbox is starting to collect dust due to me being too busy to sit down and play.
I guess the real problem is that I no longer fall into the video game makers demographic. I kinda miss those days when my paycheck for working retail at Venture (DO I MIND?!!?!?) could immediately be cashed and spent on useless crap in the matter of two hours. Ah well, I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm old, and I think I may wait for the PS3.
Good point. Overpricing game systems like this is what killed Neo-Geo. Then again, this is supposed to be a lot more than just a gaming system, like an entire entertainment platform. That being the case, they should include a TIVO type device in the Premium option.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I can't wait for the PS3. Why? Because then the price of Ps2 games drops significantly, and that's when I pounce.
Maybe a black Market will pop up for the 360 hard drives. Or since it is a Microsoft product anyway, why not just get a cheap hard drive and use it instead? I am no expert on this, but it may be possible.
I'm with Josh on this one. I'm going to avoid the XBox 360 anyway because I don't care for the system or its games generally and I'll get a PS3 ... eventually. Probably a year or two after it comes out. I don't play too many games as it is and I won't mind the price drop.
ReplyDeleteYou're right, Ken, we are falling out of the demographic and finding out that we can't spend all of our hardly earned money on video games. I hate it but it's true.
Hell, I'll buy a game boy advance before I buy any of the other systems, so I can play some of the classic games they brought out. Why not the DS? Because I don't need to touch my games or be bothered with a useless second screen. I love Nintendo for its innovation but I couldn't care less about having a stylus to help Kirby suck and blow his way to obscurity.
Unfortunately, the neither the price of Tacos nor prostitutes drops every time a new model goes on the market.
ReplyDeleteYour plight is temporary friend. When we all become CEO's money will have no meaning because we will be able to afford all the xbox's ever made with enough money left over to match the GDP of England. I don't see how the PS3 is going to be any better than XBOX but I'm sure the nerdier nerds than me are already fighting over it while Microsoft and Sony laugh (and fight) while rolling in beds and beds and beds of cash...
ReplyDeleteIn any case I need to tell Kevin what blue elf would do.