GET

GET

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

ReplayTV It: 30 Days: "Binge Drinking Mom" 7/20

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/30days/main.html

6 comments:

  1. Did you post this because you thought it was a good idea for a show, or because you thought the mom was kind of hot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Kauke would say, a little from column A and a little from column B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the rationale behind other episodes of this show and what makes them interesting social studies... "Off-The-Grid" being particularly relevant in the shadow of disappearing natural resources. While underneath there may be a worthwhile subject for an episode in here, I don't see what can come out of it. Okay, this lady is concerned that her daughter is partying too much, so to prove a point she's going to join in and drink herself half to death while the kid watches? What exactly is this supposed to accomplish?

    I guess, if you go by the sensationalized copy on the website, that our MILF binge-drinking for 30 days will somehow "get through" to her daughter and turn her away from her current path, which likely ends at either "getting pregnant" or "appearing on Cinemax". I don't know that seeing her mom "drunk, vomiting and hung over" is going to resonate with the daughter in any way, since if she parties as much as they say she does, she's no stranger to those things in the first place.

    Also, remember that "binge-drinking" is defined as 4 or more drinks in a row within the same relative time-frame. If this daughter is such a big partier, it's a safe bet that she's not calling it a night at 4 drinks, and presumably the mom is going to have to match the daughter in order to see this through. Let's grade on the low end of the curve and assume that's 6-7 drinks - she's going to do this EVERY NIGHT for 30 DAYS???

    If that's what the kid's plans are for her first 30 days at school this fall, I've got some advice for mom - tear up that tuition check, 'cause she's not going to get ANYTHING done. I don't know where this "enormous social and cultural pressure to drink that faces kids every day of their college careers" is coming from, but Jesus, they make it sound like Red Falcon's invaded Earth and instead of commanding wave after wave of single-minded alien scumdogs, he's brought with him the ability to inflict 18-23 year-olds with the soul-shattering, well-nigh irresistable urge to guzzle swimming pools of booze - or else. I'm not saying it's not a factor, but the danger level seems a bit over-enunciated. This is only a problem if it's allowed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. There is a difference between ALCOHOLISM and BINGE DRINKING. Binge drinking is just that, a BINGE - a large intake of something in a short period of time. Alcoholism is a daily battle with yourself not to break out the bottle every night.

    If anything, this experiment is impossible, because how is the mom REALLY going to feel the social pressures. I mean, is she honestly going to find a group of kids to hang out with that will treat her like 'one of them'? No.

    About the only thing her daughter can learn is how much of a jackass you can look when you drink too much in inappropriate situations (like when you are with your family at a restaurant drinking candles).

    I think part of the allure of binge drinking in college was that you were in a 'fantasy land' of sorts - far from home. You weren't worried about any kind of stigma because the people that were around you were either: A. your friends who are just and goofy or B. total strangers who you never talked to. That's why when I went home, I wasn't going out and drinking obsessively and then going to Walmart and breaking kids furniture by sitting on it. At home, it's not cool, because I could break the kiddie chair, then turn around and see a relative or a neighbor looking at me.

    Anyway, before I get completely off topic, let me say this: The episode has already done its job, because we are discussing it and it hasn't even aired yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but it is like discussing a cell phone plan. It's just talking about talking.

    I don't see what the Mom's rationale is, though. She might as well give herself AIDS so her daughter can see how bad that is, or never change her underwear, so her daughter can see how nasty that is, or use a sandpaper tampon, to show her how uncomfortable it is. Yeah- by definition it's stupid. So what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just watched this episode and wow, was it a bad idea for the mom to do.

    Her daughter goes to ASU. Alcoholic State University. They get a shot each time they enter the library.

    This experiment was fundamentally flawed because it was about the mom trying to changer her daughter. Usually the show is about people trying to change themselves. Of course, the daughter isn't going to change.

    And while Mom may think this will prevent her younger son from drinking, I predict that kid is gonna fall off the wagon in college. He may not be quite as much of a lush as his big sister, but he'll get drunk at least a few times a month by his sophomore year.

    The entire episode, I was saying "you're an idiot" to the mom. If she really wanted to prove something to the daughter, she should have gone drinking with her the 30 days. Doing it separately did nothing.

    I can't talk about this anymore. It was so retarded.

    ReplyDelete