"Creating fun products to teach children about healthy eating and exercise!"
While technically a good idea, especially with the physical state of many kids these days, something about products that are supposed to be "fun and educational" just sets off this silent alarm that fires the word "LAME!" through every synapse you have.
I don't know if it'll ever be possible to overcome that stigma. It's just in our DNA. Apparently right in there with HD, if you believe Sony.
This reminds me of a segment I saw recently on some crappy show - not sure if it was 20/20 or something like that. Anyway, this lady was crying about the fact that her kid was 4 years old and 100 pounds. What I found hilarious is that this lady is totally baffled as to why she can't get her kid to eat healthy. She cries and cries and gives into her bratty little kids' desires eventually. Yet, she can't fathom WHY she can't get her kid to eat healthy.
Oh, did I mention that it seemed like the only food she bought and kept in the house was junk food? That her idea of 'healthy' was buying those 100 calorie pack Oreos for her child?
What she was doing was akin to telling an alcoholic to sober up while living in a bar for 30 days.
Don't want your kid to be fat? Buy some fucking apples instead of Oreos!
I saw that kid. Girls in her class were like 35 lbs. Then she would go to the supermarket and when whe didn't put the COSTCO SIZE box of hostess cupcakes in her cart this kid would cry and throw a temper tantrum.
In a case like this I would do what my parents did to me...leave me there with whatever I was crying about not getting. Believe me, I forgot all about wanting some fruit stripe when my pops was pulling out of the parking lot puffin' on a Marlboro. Wait dad! All my toys and stuffed animals are at home! Don't leave me here!
"Creating fun products to teach children about healthy eating and exercise!"
ReplyDeleteWhile technically a good idea, especially with the physical state of many kids these days, something about products that are supposed to be "fun and educational" just sets off this silent alarm that fires the word "LAME!" through every synapse you have.
I don't know if it'll ever be possible to overcome that stigma. It's just in our DNA. Apparently right in there with HD, if you believe Sony.
This reminds me of a segment I saw recently on some crappy show - not sure if it was 20/20 or something like that. Anyway, this lady was crying about the fact that her kid was 4 years old and 100 pounds. What I found hilarious is that this lady is totally baffled as to why she can't get her kid to eat healthy. She cries and cries and gives into her bratty little kids' desires eventually. Yet, she can't fathom WHY she can't get her kid to eat healthy.
ReplyDeleteOh, did I mention that it seemed like the only food she bought and kept in the house was junk food? That her idea of 'healthy' was buying those 100 calorie pack Oreos for her child?
What she was doing was akin to telling an alcoholic to sober up while living in a bar for 30 days.
Don't want your kid to be fat? Buy some fucking apples instead of Oreos!
I saw that kid. Girls in her class were like 35 lbs. Then she would go to the supermarket and when whe didn't put the COSTCO SIZE box of hostess cupcakes in her cart this kid would cry and throw a temper tantrum.
ReplyDeleteIn a case like this I would do what my parents did to me...leave me there with whatever I was crying about not getting. Believe me, I forgot all about wanting some fruit stripe when my pops was pulling out of the parking lot puffin' on a Marlboro. Wait dad! All my toys and stuffed animals are at home! Don't leave me here!
Poop.
ReplyDelete